Over the past few years, BTS has frequently been compared to The Beatles due to their large fan base and the number of records they have set on music charts around the world. On Oct. 4, Billboard announced that Coldplay’s collaboration with BTS, “My Universe,” debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. This made the single BTS’ sixth No. 1 on the chart, and the septet became the first act to have six No. 1 songs on the Hot 100 in the quickest amount of time since The Beatles.
‘My Universe’ debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 – Coldplay X BTS
Coldplay released “My Universe” with BTS on Sept. 24. A music video for the single dropped on Sept. 30. Billboard announced on Oct. 4 that “My Universe” is the 1,129th song to reach No. 1 on the Hot 100 and the 57th song to debut at No. 1 in the chart’s history.
According to Billboard, “‘My Universe’ drew 11.5 million U.S. streams and 5.5 million radio airplay audience impressions and sold 127,000 downloads and physical singles combined in its first week, ending Sept. 30, according to MRC Data.”
While “My Universe” is BTS’ sixth No. 1 song, the single is Coldplay’s second No. 1 hit and their first No. 1 on the Hot 100 since they released “Viva La Vida” in 2008.
Billboard reports that Coldplay “waited 13 years, three months and two weeks between No. 1s,” and the song “is Coldplay’s fifth Hot 100 top 10.”
The #Hot100 top 10 (chart dated Oct. 9, 2021)— billboard charts (@billboardcharts) October 5, 2021
BTS came close to another record set by The Beatles
So far, Jin, Suga, J-Hope, RM, Jimin, V, and Jungkook of BTS have had six songs reach No. 1 on the Hot 100: “Dynamite,” “Savage Love (Laxed – Siren Beat)” with Jawsh 685 and Jason Derulo, “Life Goes On,” “Butter,” “Permission to Dance,” and “My Universe.”
“My Universe” is BTS’ fifth song to debut at the top of the Hot 100 and the band’s ninth song to reach the top 10 spots on the chart. With six No. 1 songs on the Billboard chart, BTS nearly reached a record set by The Beatles.
According to Billboard, BTS earned six No. 1 songs on the chart “over a span of a year and just over a month. That’s the quickest accumulation of six leaders since The Beatles scored six over a year and two weeks, in 1964-66: ‘I Feel Fine,’ ‘Eight Days a Week,’ ‘Ticket to Ride,’ ‘Help!,’ ‘Yesterday’ and ‘We Can Work It Out.’”
The Beatles still hold the ultimate record on the Billboard Hot 100
.@BTS_twt has achieved its six #Hot100 No. 1s over a span of a year and just over a month.— billboard charts (@billboardcharts) October 5, 2021
That's the quickest accumulation of six leaders since @thebeatles scored six over a year and two weeks, in 1964-66.
While BTS came close to one record set by The Beatles, the rock band actually achieved another set of six No. 1 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 in less than a year.
Billboard reports, “The Beatles hold the mark for the shortest span of six Hot 100 No. 1s, having earned their first six over 10 months and three weeks in 1964: ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand,’ ‘She Loves You,’ ‘Can’t Buy Me, Love,’ ‘Love Me Do,’ ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ and ‘I Feel Fine.’”
This is not the first time BTS has become the first act since The Beatles to achieve a feat on a music chart, and given the band’s upward trajectory it certainly won’t be the last.
Frequently Asked Question :
- How many No 1 does BTS have?1 in the US in 2021 so far. Permission to Dance fell to the seventh spot this week, a lucky number for the seven-member team. So far, BTS has had five No. 1s on the US chart, eight top 10 hits, and 22 singles in total to break into the Hot 100 since 2017.
- What was BTS’s first billboard 1 single?As “Dynamite,” “Life Goes On” and “Butter” have all debuted at No. 1 on the Hot 100, BTS is the first group with a trio of No. 1 entrances; no other group has more than one.
- Which is BTS’s most successful song?BTS’s ‘Butter’ Is The Biggest No. 1 Hit In The History Of Billboard’s Global Chart.
- Has BTS surpassed the Beatles?The seven-track album, which was released on April 12, will debut at the top of the Billboard 200 chart on April 27, the music magazine said on Sunday. … The achievement makes BTS the “first group since The Beatles to earn three No 1s in less than a year”, Billboard said.
- Why is BTS compared to the Beatles?The main reason behind their popularity is attributed to the Beatlemania caused by fans at the time. In that respect, BTS, much like The Beatles have a rather devoted fan base called ARMY and with their help, they have been able to make it big within the international market.
- Is BTS better than Beatles?In terms of accolades, BTS has a long way to go to be compared to The Beatles. The British band had 21 songs that topped the Billboard Chart, far outstripping BTS so far. … In a recent one-week period, songs by The Beatles were streamed 550,485,535 times compared to 1.42 million streams for BTS.